Monday 15 October 2012

Kym Hamilton @beatsrymesblog #dancehall #reggae #artist #jamaica


It's taken nearly two years but Kym Hamilton, the artist formerly known as Gaza Kim is ready to add her refreshing sound to the Reggae/ Dancehall Industry. By the time she'd been "discovered" by Vybz Kartel as a teenager, Kym had already had some success in televised talent Competitions in Jamaica like the famed Digicel Rising Stars, Tastees Talent Search and Magnum Kings and Queens of Dancehall. Before that she'd tasted local success winning medals as a member of her School Choir.
In 2008 she was introduced to Kartel who opined at the time – "Kim has the ability to go very very far in the music business". To this end he signed her to a management deal with his then fledgeling Gaza Empire and promptly gave her the stage name Gaza Kim.
'Teenage Pregnancy', ' Amen', 'Bills' (also Ft: Lisa Hype), and a remake of Shabba Ranks' 'Twice My Age' with her then mentor, Kartel and 'I Love You' served to consolidate her promise as a hit maker. Unfortunately, the union was dissolved after an incident involving members of the Gaza entourage and Kim and her brother left the singer hospitalized and seeking to sever all ties with the "Empire". "Sometimes I try to avoid that name", Revealed Kym in an interview in England, "But it's the name that got me into the music business."
She then approached Bounty Killer – an artist renowned for recognizing and nurturing young talent -at a nightclub in Kingston. The artist who was already aware of Kim directed her to his in-house Producer and engineer, Austin 'Kevin' Green of Payday Music. The Grammy Award-winning producer who incidentally shared a birthday with her received her with open arms. With that she would become an affiliate of Bounty Killer's Alliance organization and released tracks like 'Haffi Come Back', 'Bubble', 'When We're Apart', 'Whine Pon It', 'Hush and 'Got To Go Right Now'. "Right now I just see myself as Kym Hamilton – some people call me Alliance Kym. When I go to certain places and I'm expecting them to call me 'Kym Hamilton' or 'Alliance Kym' – they're sticking with the 'Gaza Kim' and…. I don't know….. Right now I'm just going for the fans! – If you want to call me Gaza Kim you call me Gaza Kim! If you want to call me Alliance Kym – you call me Alliance Kym – I am one person and I will answer!
I guess I'll just have to accept it because it's the birth name."
In August 2011 Kym was nominated for the Best International Female Artist Award at the British Reggae Awards with two of her sheroes – Tanya Stephens and Queen Ifrica. Just to be nominated with those ladies alone after the long journey she'd had to reach there felt like a win in itself! So regardless of the outcome you can rest assured that Kym will still be smiling.



Follow her manager twitter here www.twitter.com/dejavurecord54 
Follow Kym Here www.twitter.com/kym_music
for bookings dejavu.records56@yahoo.com dejavumusic10@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment